Many habits we learn as children stay with us our whole lives, so sensitizing kids to environmental concerns now will help them be a little more conscious and conservative in their adult life.
Here are some excellent tips to show children a good example for ecological stewardship:
- You weren’t born in a barn! Help children get in the habit of closing the front door upon entering or leaving the home. This will help keep the warm air in and the cold air out or vice versa and also keep out any unwanted pests. This same rule goes for your refrigerator as well, get what you need and close the fridge.
- Reusable containers. Pack snacks and lunches in washable, reusable containers or at least recyclable ones. Start a conversation about it so that they are aware of why reusing things is best.
- Ditch the car. Just headed down the street? Take a family walk to run nearby errands. You can also explain the value of combining your errands to reduce driving time and how that means less fossil fuel being burned.
- Start composting. Kids find composting really interesting and it’s a great way to learn a little science while recycling. You can find small compost bins fit for residential kitchens.
- Turn off the tap. Explain to kids that it takes energy and effort to make water clean. Tell kids to shut off the water while brushing their teeth and set an example while washing dishes.
- Use natural light. Open up the blinds or curtains and use natural light whenever possible and make sure to turn off lights whenever leaving a room. This can make for an expensive habit if they forget to turn off lights as they get older.
- Find new uses for things. Show kids how to clean out jars and tins for re-use and make fun craft activities out of repurposing old items. Turn cardboard into art materials or make a birdhouse out of bits of wood and metal.
- Plant a tree. Teach kids about how plants clean the air while also enjoying the opportunity to talk about basic science lessons and beautify your yard while you’re at it.
About the Author
Patrice Lowe is the owner and designer of Child To Cherish, a company that specializes in creating the finest children's gifts and keepsakes in the industry. Taylor's company puts their heart and soul into each unique baby gift and has won many awards for doing so. Taylor spends a lot of time volunteering through Child to Cherish, focusing on child safety and age appropriateness.